In most cases, we fall into the trap of buying over the toilet storage when we know we have space in our bathroom. Bathrooms have a small space and therefore are less to decorate with toiletries. It would be best if you had a cabinet that is good in style and that has enough storage area. To ensure you have such good items, consider
Historically, an etagere, or more correctly spelled étagère (with the appropriate accent marks), is a stand or light piece of furniture that has a series of open shelves for storing or displaying small objects. They were introduced in France in the late 1700’s during the era of Louise the XVI, revealing the characteristics of that time. These étagères present a delicate and airy feel with attention to detailed curves or intricate lines and designs, and most often made of metals or exotic woods, creating an elegant way to showcase precious ornamental objects.
But Today, What is an Etagere?
These days, the more popular use of this term is in referring to a long-legged stand that is designed to fit above the bathroom toilet. This type of space saving unit is referred to as an over the toilet étagère, or an over the toilet storage piece, and is used to provide useful and decorative above toilet storage in even the smallest of bathrooms. These units are usually primarily open shelves and cubbyholes for open display or items, but may also incorporate one or more small cabinets that are closed for storage.
Top Picks: 3 Best Over the Toilet Storage
12 Best Over the Toilet Storage
Below are 12 top choices for over the toilet étagère units and sets based on user ratings and reviews.
1. UTEX 3-Shelf Bathroom Organizer Over The Toilet
- Have an innovative and stylish design
- It is easy to assembly
- Made of robust engineered wood design that is of excellent quality
- Convenient weight of 20 lbs
- Efficient dimensions of 25.5 x 10 x 61.5 inches.
- It isn’t that sturdy
- It doesn’t consider water lining water being made.
2. Zenna Home Over The Toilet Bathroom Spacesaver
- Made of durable processed wood with an excellent finish
- It has an ideal dimension that fits standard toilets of 30.5 inches
- Optional leg extension that is ideal for tall toilets
- It has a perfect storage space that provides a greater storage area.
- Strong material that is rust-resistant
- Easy to assemble
- It is a bit flimsy
3. Spirich Home Bathroom Shelf Over-The-Toilet
- Made from high-quality wood with decorative beadboard
- It has a strong towel, and adjustable shelf inside that will accommodate various items
- Classic design that has a classic white finish
- Easy to assembly
- It keeps your room neat
- It has an exceptional quality
- It requires you to make an accurate measurement before you buy your item
4. Homfa Bamboo Over-The-Toilet Storage Rack
- It is made of strong and durable natural bamboo that is free from scratches.
- It comes with dark brown and white colors that match the room
- That is multifunctional and space-saving
- Sturdy and intelligent design that is stable and safe hence does not harm kids.
- It is easy to install
- It is of excellent quality
- Ideal for bathrooms
- It has a clean style that you will love always
- Some customers have complained about the quality and cost
5. ALL ZONE 4 Tier Bathroom Organizer
- It has ample four shelves with an adjustable height
- It is convenient and flexible
- That is easy to install as it doesn’t require drilling
- It is solid and safe; the shelf can hold up to 22lbs.
- It comes with two plastic sheets that offer additional storage for small items.
- Made of high quality and sturdy steel pipe
- No complaint with customers
6. Finnhomy 3 Shelf Bathroom Space Saver Over The Toilet Rack
- It is easy to assemble the hardware
- It has an excellent bathroom space saver
- Feature 3-tier shelves that provide Ideal storage of many items
- It has a classic chrome finish steel construction that makes it durable and convenient for bathroom décor
- The cost of it is relatively high
7. Etagere Over the Toilet Shelf Unit by CreativeWare
- Shelves are made of tempered glass
- Tubular steel frame is finished in a deep oil rubbed bronze
- Unit measures 63” x 26” x 10.5”
- Higher clearance above toilet tank (37.5 inches) than many others units, so it can accommodate most any brand and style of toilet.
- Adjustable feet for straightening out when floor is uneven
This beautiful glass shelved steel frame over the toilet étagère is solid in construction yet maintains a very open look. The open lines make it ideal for small spaces and for supplementing contemporary décor.
8. Satin Nickel Over the Toilet Etagere from Zenna
- Durable steel construction
- Satin nickel finish is rust and chip-resistant
- Measures 25.25” wide and 9.5” deep
- Bottom shelf is 33.5” from the floor
- Supporting side bars also function as towel bars
- Low cost option with a decorative look
From the Zenna Home collection, this bathroom space saver with 3 large fixed shelves has a simple yet stylish design with a modern satin nickel finish.
9. Bronze 3-Piece Bathroom Storage Set from Creative Bath
- 3-pieces ideal for fully decorating a limited space
- Over the toilet etagere has 3 fixed wire shelves
- Over the door hook unit has 5 hooks for hanging towels, robes and other items
- Free standing magazine rack can be set on the floor wherever your floorplan allows
- Oil rubbed bronze finish over solid metal construction
- Excellent value and among the most highly rated
Creative Bath brings this decorative 3-piece set to decorate your bathroom. Set includes an over the toilet shelf piece, a magazine rack, and an over the door hook unit.
10. Dark Cherry Finish Over the Toilet Shelving by Sauder
- Dark cinnamon cherry finish
- Two top shelvers are adjustable
- Fixed shelf has a luxury faux granite finish
- Faux granite finish is heat, stain, and scratch resistant
- Easier to assemble than most, with Sauder’s patented slide-on moldings
Part of the Sauder Peppercorn collection, this over the toilet etagere features cubbyhole storage and a fixed faux granite shelf. The rich dark cinnamon cherry wood finish will add an elegant touch to any poweder room.
11. White Finish Over the Toilet Storage by Sauder
- Measures 68 1/8” x 23 1/4” x 71/2”.
- Adjustable shelves provide flexibility in how you set it up
- Faux slate finished black display shelf above toilet
- Closed cabinet with decorative plastic door for concealing things you don’t want showing
- Low cost but sturdy particleboard construction
- If desired, Sauders also makes matching floor standing bathroom storage cabinets that are available separately
If you are looking for something with an enclosed cabinet, this versatile over the toilet storage unit from Sauder’s Caraway Collection may be the answer. It has two adjustable shelves and a cabinet, creating a decorative and functional piece with both open and enclosed storage areas. Soft white finish blends in with most white or off white trims and paints.
12. Bronze Olivia 3 Piece Bathroom Space Savers Set
- 3 matching pieces with decorative lines to instantly create a designer bathroom
- Wall unit has two wire shelves and a towel bar
- Free standing floor unit has 3 fixed wire shelves
- Over the toilet stand has 3 fixed wire shelves
- Made of sturdy steel with a rubbed bronze paint finish
If you’re looking for more than just over the toilet storage, this designer set from Olivia includes 3 matching pieces providing a great deal of useful and decorative bathroom wall shelves: a floor shelf unit, a wall hanging piece, and over the toilet shelving.
Buying Guide : Over the Toilet Storage Ideas
The functionality entails the style and design of the cabinet, and it can be a close or open type. These are two main styles in which both types are ideal for storage. The good cabinet should be a space saver that is equipped with a perfect magnetic and handle knob. This will enable you to have ease in opening and also closing it.
The period in which the cabinet can last is also essential. The material that is used, construction, and load capacity determine how durable the cabinet will be. It is good to know the weight your cabinet can load without passing the limit. Most of the materials used are premium quality plastic, steel, and manufactured wood. Check on how the customer views the material before buying it.
The reviews of customers about the cabinet are crucial when you are looking for a quality storage cabinet. It shows how satisfied the customers are, and it remarks the sturdiness and quality material used. The material and construction are crucial in determining customer satisfaction and lifespan of the cabinet. Check on Amazon on how customers are satisfied with the product.
Storage space is a personal factor that depends on your requirements and is available. It is up to you to determine what you should store on your washroom toiletries and cabinet necessities. Suppose you have more things to store in a small area; use shelves that don’t have a sidebar. This will help you to avoid closing and opening hassle with your cabinet.
We all need a cabinet shelve that is budget-friendly to what we have. The good thing is that all the cabinets we have reviewed are budget-friendly. You can buy them from the various options available on the online markets or amazon.
How to Install Over the Toilet Storage
You can easily install your over toilet storage like a pro if you know the tips to follow. To achieve this, follow the following steps.
- Mark up the wall on which you are going to install the cabinet.
- Position well the first cabinet of about ¼ inches where to screw the cabinet.
- Remove the cabinet drawers and doors
- Shim a large bow before you hang it
- Begin with the top cabinet
- Drill and fasten the cabinet
- Use the woodblock inscribing
- Use the best cabinet mounting screws
- Fasten the chin and back of the cabinet
- Measure the gap and cut a filler strip
- Attach well and install the filler
- Raise your cabinets for the flooring
- Cut the ideal size holes that are a bit oversize
- Use your door rail as the guide in installing.
- Attach your cabinet temporarily
- Make your custom cabinets
- How deep should shelves above the toilet be?
The depth of shelves varies, but, in our suggestion, it should be something 14 inches deep. The deeper shelving doesn’t make your storage items appear like they are hanging on the edges. You can go for 19-24 inches if you prefer a glamourous cabinet.
- How do you make toilet storage?
It is good to take advantage of the space between the walls and that the toilet sits. The tall-to-wall floating cabinets appear to be awkward, but they will give you additional storage. You can place a basket, decorative items, tissues, and folded towels there.
- How high should cabinets be above the toilet?
Many of the over-the-toilet cabinets come with a standard height that is ideal for the overall ordinary-sized toilets. A perfect height range should be between 30-35 inches. It is advisable to choose a cabinet that suits your toilet size. Choose a cabinet that fits well according to the height measurement from the floor to the top of your tank.
- How do you attach cabinets to the wall?
Attaching the cabinets on your wall is a simple process that you can do like a pro even if you haven’t done it. Set the cabinet in the area to be mounted and drive the mountain screw on the wall. While holding, tighten the screws as you can if they are well fitted.
- Can you put a mirror over the toilet?
Why not? Having a mirror in your toilet is an ideal and stylish thing that you can do. However, most experts argue that you should avoid hanging it directly from the doors or toilets. Some also argue it is not a good thing to view yourself during the toilet.
Note: All pieces require assembly, and due to weight and size, we suggest two people work on it together. For safety reasons, it’s always recommended to attach any over the toilet storage unit to the wall.
Whichever unit you choose, you’re sure to be thrilled to have the extra storage space that the over the toilet etagere affords, and to be able to keep your sink and counter clear of clutter. Visit us often here at showerfeed.com for more decorative and space saving bathroom design tips and reviews.