Body fat scales such as the Healthometer Professional Body Fat Scale take the act of simply weighing yourself to the next level.
In this review, we take you on a deep dive into 4 top-selling units by Health O Meter, Eat Right, Taylor and Tanika to see how they compare. From body measurement essentials to advanced full body monitoring and tracking, each of these models has something different for helping get to a healthier you.
Top picks : 3 Best Body Fat Scale
What is a Body Fat Scale?
By using bioelectrical impedance analysis, or BIA, these latest technology bathroom accessories are able to determine the amount of lean mass, water, and fat in your body. Together with other data, this can be invaluable and extremely motivating for athletes and anyone seeking to track muscle mass as well as manage their weight.
BIA works by sending a mild electrical signal from the metal plates you stand on up from under your feet through your body. Since muscle conducts electricity better than fat, this affects the amount of time that this takes.
Body fat scales then use formulas to determine body-fat percentages based on this resistance data along with other things such as height, weight, gender, and age.
3 Top Selling Body Fat Scale Reviews
1. Health O Meter Professional Body Fat Digital Scale
Like most body fat scales, this Health-o-Meter Body Fat Scale does more than measure body fat percentage. It also measures your BMI (body mass index), level of hydration, and even tells you your current weight versus your prior weigh in. Using Health o Meter’s proprietary DCI+ technology, it even calculates your maximum daily caloric intake – everything you need to track basic body and nutrition health goals.
- Accurately measures weight up to 400 lbs, at .2 pound increments
- Stores information for up to 4 different users
- Measures body fat percentage, hydration level, and body mass index
- Tells you your weight at last weigh in, for immediate comparison and tracking
- Requires 4 AA batteries – included
- Comes with a 5-year limited warranty
- Display is large and easy-to-read
- Easy to set up, and to turn off with the tap of a toe
- About 12% or reviewers say that the weight reading can be inconsistent or unreliable at times
- Turns off quickly, so be ready to get on as soon as you activate the scale
The Health o Meter Professional Body Fat Scale can be a good choice for those looking for a good quality body fat scale at a low price, and have 4 or fewer people who will be sharing it. But if you’re looking for a more robust set of features, then be sure to also consider the options below.
2. EatSmart Digital Body Fat Scale
The EatSmart Precision GetFit takes body fat scales to an even higher level. In addition to quickly, easily, and consistently measuring body weight and fat, it also measures body water, body muscle and bone mass using EatSmart’s proprietary ITO BIA technology.
- Measures body weight, body fat, body water, body muscle and bone mass
- Stores and recognizes personal profile data for up to 8 different users
- Precisely measures up to 400lbs, at .2 pound increments
- Uses “Step-On” technology, requiring no tapping to turn on your scale
- Uses 4 included AA batteries
- Comes with a 100% EatSmart Guaranteed Product Satisfaction guaranty
- Has a technologically advanced and ultra user-friendly touch-screen interface
- Just stand on the platform barefoot and it turns on and identifies who you are based on your past weight
- Oversized 3.5″ LCD display Its sleek design and slim profile fits perfectly into any surrounding
- Less than 5% report inaccuracy or inconsistency in weighings.
With over 4000 customer reviews and a 4.7 star rating, this is the most highly rated and reviewed body fat scale available on Amazon.com. This is a great option for anyone, from everyday person to athlete. And with the ability to manage 8 profiles, it’s great for larger families or small teams as well.
3. Tanita Ironman Innerscan Body Composition Monitor
You can tell by the name that this is different animal from the body fat scales reviewed above. This unique scale by Tanita, aptly called a body Composition Monitor and not a body fat scale, adds extra features for the most serious of health and fitness enthusiasts.
- Measuring, tracking, and recall of weight, body fat, body water and muscle mass
- Also tracks basal metabolic rate (BMR), metabolic age, bone mass, visceral fat and rates your physique
- Tracks up to 4 individual profiles
- Backed by a 3-year Tanita warranty
- Extremely highly rated and reviewed by users
- One of the most comprehensive body monitors on the market today, previously only sold commercially to fitness clubs and medical professionals
- Has a 330 pound capacity, which a small percentage of reviewers found limiting
- Instruction manual is lacking, making it a bit challenging to get up and running with all of the functionality
While admittedly not for everyone, this robust and feature rich body monitor is an ideal choice for the serious athlete or health guru looking to take the highest control of monitoring and analyzing your overall fitness level and progress.
Getting The Most Accurate Measurements from Your Body Fat Scale
No matter which model of body scale you use, it’s important to note that your body fat measurement can vary dramatically based on things as innocent a having a small glass of water before you weigh yourself. To get the most accurate reading, you’ll want to:
- Weigh yourself daily
- Weigh yourself at the same time of day each day
- Don’t weigh yourself within 3 hours of eating or drinking anything
- Empty your bladder before stepping on the scale
Developing the habit to weigh in the first thing each morning works well for many people, and provides a reliable measure of progress over time.
For more useful articles and reviews about accessories, fixtures and storage solutions for your bathroom, visit our site at OverTheToilet.com.