Nowadays shower curtains have replaced shower doors very much. The increasing use is because they are a lot more effective. Moreover, they add style to any bathroom thus worth investing in. To find more value out of the drapery, a shower curtain rod is needed.
Choosing high-quality ones has become a challenging task. Of course, the market has countless suppliers, but not all have what can suit your style. There is no need to get overwhelmed by the many available options. The good thing is that you can find the exact rod type that will compliment your bathroom’s décor. Keep reading to make a wise choice of the best shower curtain rod.
Types of Curtain Rods
Manufacturers often try the best ways possible to get to satisfy different clients’ needs. As a result, when shopping you will find that many shower curtain rod models are available to be picked. Well, it is tempting to try a number out, but the truth is not all are the style that you want. The differences clearly result in challenging decision making. Here are some of the types available today.
This design comes with one or even two rods to be attached to both ends of the shower walls. Each side can include the escutcheon that matches well with the existing bathroom décor. One good thing is these rods are available in various finishes from contemporary to the traditional ones.
Whenever there is a need to enlarge the elbow section of the shower curved rods are the top choice. Hanging the curtains on this means the water will not splash the bathroom floor. If you installed a bathtub with a curved shape, then use this bar type to match the shapes. With this, you can excellently hang down your wet towels.
This shower rod type is hook free and often used together with L-shaped, U-shaped or D-shaped curtain rods or a clawfoot. Different from the conventional rods, this design needs the curtain to be attached to rod gliders as an alternative to using rings or hooks. The gliders extend downward while still fixed to the rod. This ensures that the curtains never slip off.
Often known as tension shower rods, they are the most popular in the market. Designed to be held in place using spring suspensions, this type of rod looks more natural. Even better, it works well reducing the need to drill the walls during installation.
Circular or carousel
The style mostly suits well the combination of shower and slipper or claw foot bathtubs. Also, are commonly used in rustic cabin flights or even beach houses. Here there are one or two bars fixed to the ceiling for support and angled at 90 degrees.
10 Best Shower Curtain Rod Reviews
1. BRIOFOX Shower Curtain Rod
Anyone looking for a stylish shower rod needs this BRIOFOX model. One notable feature is its sparkling stainless-steel design. Made with the spring tension plus potent suction cups the unit is extremely firm. After securing the ends to the wall, all you need is to twist and let the rod extend into place.
The rods come with quality corrosion-resistant coating. This finish keeps its surface smooth and allows it to remain rust-free. It can be applied onto many surfaces thanks to the included suction cups. Designed from 100percent rubber it prevents potential marks or damages to the wall. After installation or removal of the rod, no ugly scratches remain.
This model is made from high-grade 304 stainless. Granted, over five years of use it will still be rust-free. The manufacturer is utterly confident about this product’s quality. So, it is coupled with a 100perent risk-free fulfillment guarantee. In case the purchase is not satisfying, you can easily get a replacement rod. This is enough to sign that you can count on its quality.
- Sleek design
- Completely risk-free
- Stays rust-free over time
- Connectors fit insecurely
- Rubberized ends fall
- Screws not fitting
2. Zenna Home 505ST Tension Curtain Rod
This Zenna Home 505ST shower curtain rod is made to suit many buyers’ needs. It is available in a range of colors including white, brushed nickel, chrome, bronze, bone swirl and cashmere. Its finish adds some stylishness to any type of bathroom. The surfaces are chip and corrosion-resistant finish. Yes, even though the bathroom environment is moist it will not rust.
It comes equipped with a simple twist and then extends installation. So, no special skills or tool is needed to have it up and working. The unique Twist Type design grips firmly and secures it into place. All you need to do is position it between the walls and then lock it using its tension.
The unit not only looks good but also supports a significant amount of weight. Thus, it is strong to easily support curtains and especially the heavier blackout ones. With an easily adjustable size from 44-inches to 72-inches, it can fit many tub and shower dimensions.
- Easy to install
- Comes in a range of colors
- Adjustable to fit any shower space
- Durable material used
- Sometimes gets out of place
- Plastic is not very durable
- Prone to scratching.
3. Amazon Basics Tension Shower Doorway Curtain Rod
While buying shower curtain roads are meant for use in the bathroom, it is ideal to consider a multifunctional option. And this versatile Amazon Basics Tension Shower Doorway Curtain Rod will suit many needs. It can be fixed in the cabinet to function as levels for storing shoes. In the kitchen, it can be used for hanging pans and lids. In the bedroom, it fits as a for putting blackout curtains and even for privacy.
With its different color choices, it will match well with most home décors. This model provides buyers the opportunity to adjust manually the length. It can extend from 54 to 90inches it will easily adapt to its environments. Thanks to the spring included inside it will provide a solid grip and remain in place without issues of readjusting.
The curtain rod has a sleek design and modern looks. Its smooth finish makes it add some panache to any space. It is light and yet it works as expected and will not bring issued during setup.
- Different color choices.
- Good looking to blend well to many surfaces.
- Easy to install.
- Sizing makes ordering almost a hit-or-miss task.
- Falls if heavy items are added
- Poor quality
4. Amazon Basics Room Darkening Rod
The rod has an adjustable length with wraparound edges. This enables you to shorten or even extend it without losing its functionality. Indeed, it provides an end-to-end cove to the shower area. This means no water will spill from the bathroom to prevent flooding. In case you are a light sleeper, this would be ideal for use in the bedroom. It completely darkens the room to give undistracted sleep.
The rod is available in color options including black, dark bronze, and nickel. You are not limited to choices that suit your room or existing décor. It comes with all the necessary mounting accessories like anchors and screws. This means installation and uninstalling is quite easy. This one has curved edges that wrap the curtains to insulate the room and prevent falling.
- No tools necessary
- Reasonably priced
- Easy to install
- Cheaply designed
- Lock button jams sometimes.
- Limited ability to use.
5. Zenna Home Never Rust Rustproof Aluminum Double Curved
The feeling of having shower curtains touching you while showering is terrible. The Zenna Home curved tension rod makes an excellent addition to any bathroom. It offers an extra 6.5 inches elbow room which also works as a storage space.
This unit is constructed from aluminum, so it is 100percent rust-proof. The manufacturer confidently guarantees its serviceability for life. When buying rest assured that you will have no time to deal with rust spots in the bathroom. Further to that, this material makes it amazingly lightweight, about 2.5 lbs. of weight. This makes the installation process to cause no strains.
This rod is available in multiple finishes to allow buyers to find what rightly fits the home. From Chrome, Satin Nickel, to Oil Rubbed Bronze, this Zenna Home will look good in all places. The colors easily blend with any décor style including modern and vintage. With its patented and new Twist Tight technology, it is simple to install. Simply extend the rod and twist it to attach on the surface.
- Lightweight material used
- All necessary mounting attachments included
- Highly versatile.
- Not fit for mounting in every environment
- Any extra item hangs on it causes sagging or breakage.
6. Zenna Home Never Rust Rustproof Aluminum Tension Mount Curved
If you love using curved shower curtain rods that also work as the tension-type, then the design of this Zenna Home Never Rust will be worthy. It combines the two to ensure it provides satisfying results for all your needs. One most pleasing feature is that it is made using durable material. Yes, aluminum makes it last longer, withstand weights and rust-resistant. it makes the best option for any shower space because the manufacturer provides a lifetime guarantee against rust.
Thanks to its tension feature, no extra tool is needed to install it. The process is simple and does not leave marks on the walls. This rod works well for tubs from sizes about 50 inches long and 72 inches in width. But it is also curved, you get an additional 6.5 inches for your shower area. This is quite comfortable.
While purchasing this unit, you can choose from various color options. The choices include chrome, oil rubbed bronze or satin. The beauty makes it to greatly pick one that fits your bathroom.
- Has different colors
- Rust resistant
- Easy to install
- Shower hooks stick in the plastic part
- Bends if a lot of weight is added at the center.
- Tightening it feels tedious.
7. ALL ZONE Tension Rod
During purchase, it is good to stick to a budget. And when it comes to updating and changing the looks of bathrooms, this ALL ZONE Tension Shower Window Curtain Rod is handy. The simplicity it has makes it ideal for use as a replacement if the existing one breaks.
It features a unique lock-in technology. This reduces the worries about frequent shower rail slips. From tile and wallpaper walls to wooden frames, the rods will securely attach in place. The extra button feature locks the rods together to prevent accidents from falling.
The material used in making it is heavy-duty with a better extension range. It goes to around 81 inches. Thus, this unit serves as a clothes rail, drying rack, and a curtain rod. It does all of this without the need for screws and will not leave marks on the walls. It supports heavyweight black-out draperies easily.
Even better the All zone is available in different extension ranges. The sizes range from 28 – 41inches to 83 – 122inches. This caters for the different bathroom sizes.
- No tools needed to install
- Reasonably priced
- Non-slip grip
- Only one color is available
- Lock buttons prevent curtains from gliding.
- Holds only 20 pounds, which slightly limits its usage ability
8. BRIOFOX Tension Curtain Rod
The bathroom is one key area at home that needs innovative and high-quality products. BRIOFOX Tension Curtain Rod is the most excellent choice. Not only will this make this area look more organized, but it also shows the best in you.
Made from heavy-duty stainless steel, this rod will last for years to come. Of course, the material is corrosion-resistant, so it fits use in the bathroom. Even better, it is easy to maintain and clean. Thanks to its smooth finish which stays chip-free.
It features a nonslip plate which is large enough. This ensures it remains in a position where it is installed without slipping down. Coupled with a tension spring inside the tubes the ends are pushed to the wall. What is more, it is easy to install. All you need is push, twist, slide and let the rods expand. Within a short time, it will be functioning as desired.
Another good aspect is that you can apply the rods on a range of surfaces. From rough to smooth, wallpaper, tile, stone, and wood so you have no worry about a special wall to put it up.
- Easy to install and uninstall
- Warranty included
- Mismatched rod and bracket tones
- Falls down several times
- Arrives with defects
9. Amazer Spring Tension Curtain Rod
Are you seeking for the best way to make your shower life amazing? Then Amazer Spring Tension Curtain Rod is the choice unit for you. Full of versatility and functionality it works well on smooth surfaces including metal, glass or tiles. It is also used in rough areas like concrete or rough stone. With a nonslip grip, it prevents any hazards. This foam holds the walls tightly just as the shoes do while walking or standing.
The rod can be adjusted between 42 to 72 inches. Thanks to the spring-loaded between the inside and the outside tubes. Its ends are removable to allow you add rings for hooking the curtains. This means all you need is the twist and tighten method to have it installed or even removed. The process does not take time because there are instructions included. The pads incorporated at the ends provide a grip that prevents accidents from falls.
With a bronze finish, it is chip resistant and long-lasting. The color and design make it blend well with any existing bathroom or shower décor. And yes, it comes in different color options to allow you to choose as per your needs.
- Grips firmly
- High-quality finish
- Fits most surfaces
- Needs regular adjustment
- May arrive dented
10. iDesign Curved Metal Shower Curtain Rod
If you are looking for an ideal bathroom design solution on a budget, then look no further. iDesign Curved Metal Shower Curtain Rod is one affordable option to take your décor to the desired direction. The bar looks quite basic, but it is useful in a range of conditions. The rods are large enough to allow both to extend from 41 to 72 inches.
This shower rod is constructed from steel thus contributing to its durability. It is strong enough to hold up the weight of the curtains and any clothing added to it. coated with black powder and matte finish it remains resistant to rust. Other than featuring the easy to install style, it is adjustable and functional. Matches well with any existing décor and all you need are to twist, extend, place it in place, and fix. This needs no hardware so in a few minutes, it is ready for use. The plastic washers included prevents potential scratches or scars on the wall.
The rods work well in changing rooms, windows, shower stalls, and even bathtubs. Purchasing the set means an easily coordinated decor. Even better, it comes with a one-year guarantee,
- Rust resistant
- Comes in color variations
- Non-slip foot prevents damage
- Design suits mostly shower or tubs
- Hard to remove
- Illegible instructions
Shower Curtain Rod Buying Guide
Type of Bar
The style of bars chosen provides some nice and simple touch to the bathroom. Also, choose the option that works great depending on your needs. If you need an extra room, then be cautious as you decide. There are versatile types that provide the finest of both worlds.
If you are well equipped, then you do not need to go for a costly expert install. Most of the bars depend on tension so they are easy to put up in a few minutes. Although some must be mounted the work of measuring is not cumbersome.
It is common when metal is used in a damp area like the bathroom. Check what material the bar is created from and ensure it is rust protected. Plastic ones do not require any treatment, but if some extent of metal is involved then something must be added.
Not every shower bar can be hung anywhere. Consider a type that can be positioned and detached in different places. For instance, added to a store for extra space, to provide extra privacy, or to support doorway curtains. This makes the rooms to look comfortable.
Installing bars at an angle saves space and is a unique system. Honestly, not every type can easily provide this. Adding blocks to the wall helps in turn adjustments. It enables the bar to hang down straight as intended. It also ensures a highly secured and safe support even with any method.
How to Install a Shower Curtain Rod
Mostly the process of mounting these curtain rods depends considerably on the type chosen. But there are some common basics and tools needed to achieve this aspect. The installation requirements include:
- Tape measure
- Shower curtains and rings
- Drywall support
- Measure accurately the distance between where you want to fix the shower curtain rod, from one wall to another. Keep the distance in mind and ensure to purchase a bar that has an extra inch compared to the real distance.
- Check with the package and find out if the rod has the same size. Open the rod by turning every end in the reverse direction for tension rods. If it is an inch more than the length between the walls then do not extend it further. Unlike for tension rods, fixed shower curtain rods need some drilling. For the fixed design, drill holes on both ends of the walls for supporting the rod.
- Measure the height of the shower curtain. This provides a precise idea of the height that the shower curtain rod should be positioned. Specifically, for the fixed rods, place anchors in every hole then add screws to fasten it.
- Keep in mind that the shower curtain is supposed to enter the rod. Before fixing everything to the wall bring in the rings. Failure to follow this means starting afresh the steps.
- Hold one end of the shower curtain rod and place it to the wall of the hole. Adjust both ensuring the rod is stable enough and straight to avoid possible accidents. This whole process should not go for more than 12 to 15 minutes. The good thing is that most of the models are accompanied by clear instructions and extra accessories. The elements are all you need to have a perfect job done.
- Even though new curtain rods twist well and lock in place, sometimes the units crush down. To prevent the chances of falling start by adjusting it to be some inches above the shower. Hang it at an angle ensuring that one end gets higher than desired. Slide that side down slowly until the rod hangs down straight.
Do I need a special shower curtain for a curved rod?
- The design of a shower curtain rod significantly affects the looks and functionality of the bath space. Using the type that is curved therefore brings some upscaled and luxurious feeling in the tub. Indeed, you enjoy an extra 33% of the room. So, it is not necessary to get a special shower curtain for a curved rod.
What is the standard size shower curtain rod?
- Shower curtains are often available in standard sizes. The industry’s average measurement is 72 by 72 inches. The dimensions are intended to fit well a normal 60 inches long bathtub. This includes an additional width of 12 inches to guarantee a complete appearance and enough folds when drawn.
How do you tighten a shower curtain rod?
- Tension rods often slip or sometimes needs an accessory. This calls for the need to take it out and adjust before returning it in place. Simply hold it in the right place while lifting the curtain almost one inch from the floor. And then turn the smaller one anticlockwise to elongate it. Continue twisting until both ends touch the walls and the rod gets enough tension.
Do shower curtains go inside or outside of the tub?
- If used and hung correctly, a shower curtain will practically work in keeping water in the right place. Always ensure when showering it is placed inside the tub. That way water will hit the curtain and then drip into the bathtub. When left out the floor will end up flooded so reduces the need to clean up.
The main consideration when seeking the best shower curtain rod is determined by the bathroom or shower space design. However, the list above gives some of the favorite types in the market that will make the decision-making process easier. The features included should not be overlooked because every detail impacts your bathroom. Invest in something that offers long-term and quality service. Of course, this addition provides value and style to the area. Ensure it properly fits especially if you are buying for the first time.