When it comes to choosing products for our bathrooms, we tend to give lots of consideration to the fixtures such as the tub, sink, and the toilet as well as to the shower head and faucets. However, there tends to be an overlooking of the supportive parts to the bathroom until there is a problem or a discomfort. And while most people will not suffer from any ill effects if they do not have the best shower water filter installed, there can be a very recognizable annoyance or presence that something about the bathroom just is not right.
In many cases, a shower filter can fix the discomforts of the shower. Signs that you may need to install a shower head filter include hard water, irritation to the skin, a chemical smell to the water (including a sulfur like smell although this may be a bigger problem), and redness/rashes after bathing. Although these symptoms may be a bigger issue than the water, having a shower filter installed is a relatively cheap way to help prevent these problems.
Shower head filters should not be confused with shower heads. They are two completely different parts oQf the shower, and while the two work together, each is independent of themselves. Granted, there are a few models that merge the two together, but the best shower head filters are separate from the actual shower head.
Whether you own the house or are renovating a bathroom on a rental or lease property, understanding the benefits as well as how to choose the shower water filter is essential to maximizing the overall quality of the water and bathing experience.
Editor’s Choice : 5 Best Shower Water Filter
What is a Shower Head Filter?
A shower head filter is an apparatus that sits between the main piping and the shower head. On occasion, the filter is built into the head. Regardless of the design, the shower head filter aims to minimize or eliminate the presence of Chlorine in the water.
The Shower head filter works by creating a reaction between the water (either with the use of a Kinetic Degradation Fluxion or Vitamin C). With the KDF the toxins in the water attach to the filter and work much like any water filtration device. The pure water goes through the shower head, and the debris is trapped on the filter. With Vitamin C, the Chlorine is absorbed by the vitamin leaving you with a cleaner water source for your shower. Keep in mind that this is a filter and not a permanent fixture. Occasionally you will need to clean out the filter and replace parts. However, the shower filters last quite a while.
Top 9 Best Shower Filter Consumer Reports Reviews
1. AquaBliss High Output 12-Stage Shower Filter
The AquaBliss 12-stage is a rising star that fits well in this industry. And without a doubt, the features of this product make the consumers crazy. It has a unique system that filters water through 12 sieves to freshen it. Of course, the process eliminates unnourishing elements thus rejuvenate the skin. The filtration system is powerful enough to infuse useful minerals to the body.
Chlorine and bacteria manage to pass through the water even if it is hot. It features activated carbon to fully remove the impurities and other organic materials. That means you get to project the best of yourself without any harmful chemicals.
The manufacturer designed this product with an aim to help in skin and hair restoration. The zeolite ceramic balls included provide maximum filtration and produce vitamin C. This not only happens to add beneficial minerals but also to offset odors. The filter functions from the time you start using it.
Better yet, the infrared and magnetic balls increase the oxygen and negative ion levels. This gives a chance to reform the skin, hair, and nails. Additionally, at the exit, it has double stainless-steel layers and a PP cotton stand. These further traps the remaining residues within the filter and leave the water purified.
- Universal design
- Easy installation
- 1-year limited warranty
- Sometimes it loses water pressure
- No shower heads included
2. Culligan WSH-C125 Wall-Mounted Filtered Shower Head with Massage
The Culligan WSH-C125 Shower Head has a filtration system that keeps you safe from various health problems. Certified to be safe to use by NFC it leaves the water chemical-free from chlorine and other contaminates. It has five spray settings to enable you to get different water flow and a relaxing feeling. That guarantees a comfortable bath time and freshens the body.
Bathing often means protecting the body from germs removed from outside. Then the water used at home mostly contain impurities that can affect the body, skin, and hair. Thanks to this shower head, it helps you avoid the problem of damaged hair and dried skin. It limits bacterial development by 99 percent in the water passage. So, you get to have a cleaner bathroom experience. Additionally, it also removes any taste and smell.
Evidently, this product has an old-style to prove it is long-lasting. Most customers consider it since it comes with a longer warranty period. Its cartridge can be used to filter water for six months or about 10,000 gallons. The manufacturer, of course, guarantees that it will stay for years at home. That means you have no worries about changing the Shower Head occasionally.
- Different spray settings
- Easy to install
- Long warranty included
- Old design
- Needs tools to install
- Not suitable for handheld shower head
3. Aquasana Replacement Filter Cartridge for Shower Filters
The Aquasana Replacement Filter Cartridge for Shower Filters is one heavy-hitting and high-performing system for full household use. The brands are known to filter hard water well for up to six months. After that time of use, it is prone to get damaged so we will need replacement parts. As it is, any industry recommends genuine replacements always. It may fail to remove contaminants due to the poor design of the filtration mechanism. That is why using this is a guarantee of quality functioning.
This model is often built for excellent performance. In fact, the intention is to remove 97 percent of contaminants from your water. And because the reality is that untested parts are not licensed for performance ability. This system will provide greater benefits including healthier hair and skin well on Aquasana Shower Filters. Of course, models like AQ-4100, AQ-4105, and AQ-4125 will no longer expose you to chlorine while bathing.
Above all else, this system has a National Safety Federation certification. Sure, its standards allow it to provide you immediate access to healthy and better-tasting water. The produced gallons every minute do not make the channel to block. So, the water pressure is constant.
- Cartridges work for six months
- Installation is easy with basic plumbing skills
- Excellently removes contaminants.
- Accompanying instructions are not clear
- Water pressure drops sometimes
- Compatible only with Aquasana shower filters.
4. AquaHomeGroup Luxury Filtered Shower Head Set 15 Stage Shower Filter
The AquaHomeGroup luxury filter is popular and fit for its price. This unit is specifically designed to ensure your shower water is healthy and helpful to both the skin and hair. Mainly it removes chlorine and harsh chemicals to up to 91 percent despite the water’s quality. One thing the users appreciate about the filter is because it cleans and softens instantly.
The truth is that any standard shower heads are likely to become faulty. That means you must change some parts after every 6 to 8 months. The package includes two cartridges, housing, replacement rings, and Teflon tape. The components make installation quite easy even without special tools. What is more, it fits any other size shower heads luxuriously.
When it comes to construction. This filter’s body is designed from plastic that has a chrome layer. Generally, it performs its purpose soundly by reducing contaminant levels. This success makes it suitable for use in homes with kids and pets.
- High performance
- Has a replacement filter cartridge.
- No interference with water pressure.
- Construction material is prone to damages
- Shiny finish not so good for all bathroom
- Joints may leak
5. Shower Filter 15 Stage for Hard Water
Shower Filter 15 Stage for Hard Water takes the prize through its 15 stage filtration levels. Not only will you get water free from chemicals, bacteria, and heavy metals. The shower water also is purified to give all family members an amazing bath experience. Besides installing this you can eradicate unpleasant odors while you enjoy the purest water.
Fitting this filter is simple since it comes with standard size pipes. Besides it is compatible with various shower head types namely rainfall, wall-mounted, and handheld. No special tools or expertise are required for the installation process.
The purifier is made from chromed plastic. The material is intended to give you confidence in use and purchase. Even better, it is eco-friendly and durable so is not a bank breaker. The components included in the package like 2 filter cartridges, Teflon tape, ABS holder and rubber washers make it worth the price. The product lasts longer depending on the number of users.
- Effectively removes contaminants
- Improves the skin and hair condition
- Reduces scale growth
- Hard water needs monthly cartridge changes.
- Prone to leaking
- May break under high pressure.
6. 15 Stages Shower Water Filter with a Silver layer
The 15 Stages Shower Water Filter with the Silver layer is known to be powerful. All thanks to the included elements like active carbon, KDF-55, calcium sulfite, and ceramic balls. Silver breaks down any bacteria found in tap water. Appreciate by the users for high performance ensures the water flow is maintained and is large enough. The chlorine levels are reduced up to 97 percent and the odor completely removed. The effectiveness is also evident to get rid of impurities, bacteria, and heavy metals.
Unknown to some people, shower water sometimes contains chemicals that leave you with irritating skin and damaged hair. This shower, however, purifies to prevent such skin-related problems. With this model, your body is even rejuvenated and without unpleasant smells.
This filter fits well into all standard size shower heads and faucets. It has two filter cartridges so that you can use one and fix the other to replace later. It’s a sure investment since it has a water flow rate of 2.5 gallons per minute. Works just like most units as the manufacturer guarantees quality filtration.
- Multiple filtration stages
- Excellent performance
- Easy to replace
- Reduced water pressure at times
- Not fitting some shower arms
- Plastic is not durable
7. Aqua Earth 15 Stage Shower Filter With Vitamin C
With a product such as the Aqua Earth 15 Stage Shower Filter With Vitamin C, it is senseless to keep using hard water full of impurities and chlorine. As a result, you get the treatment that comes from a shower, of course, a smooth and moisturized skin. It is ideal for use in homes with pets and children as it cares for their health.
It is a chance to forget the water-related itching if used directly from the taps. The manufacturer uses a blend of KDF 80, Active Carbon, and 50 Calcium Sulfite. That way it easily removes fungi, bacteria, and scale buildup. Thus, it is known as the best shower filter.
This design of the filter makes it fit nearly most standard showers. To install you simply need to twist, remove and get to enjoy the bath. The product will keep providing the spa-like experience without changing the cartridges after six months.
Unlike the other products featured in this list, this product is unique as it comes with a Vitamin C. This is produced while the water is flowing to make your skin nourished and moisturized naturally.
- Easy to install.
- Comes with excellent features.
- Consistent water flow.
- Water quality not improved
- Total purities not removed
- Price not worth in comparison to the range the market offers.
8. Propur White Shower Filter
White Shower Filter takes a top spot since it is a countertop type. The system from Propur uses ProMax technology that makes it ideal to fit in standard showers. It comes with removable aerators that remarkably clean water and makes it healthy. The filter eliminates contaminants while also retaining the useful minerals.
The good thing is that the installation process needs no much of skills. The manufacturer claims this goes for a shorter time without using plumbing tools. When installed the purified water is accessible immediately.
Alongside its impurity’s removal, the filter excellently prevents chlorinated air from escaping from the bath to the house. This means it helps improve the quality of air for every family member. Your shower becomes easy and quick to clean as you can stop clogging.
The longevity of this filter is quite impressive. It lasts up to a year depending on the number of users without the need to replace. Even better, when this is necessary, you will not break your account to get one.
- No energy required.
- Fits most faucet fittings.
- Accessories created from high-quality materials.
- Large for some fixtures
- Breaks when water is heavy
- Constantly leaks
9. Shower Head with Built-in Water Filter
This Shower Head with Built-in Water Filter from Clearly Pure is budgeted type for hair and the skin. So, if you do not want to spend a huge amount on a shower, then this does the trick. Of course, this unit is worth considering because it filters and neutralizes chemicals found in tap water. So, with this, you have a moisturized skin and restore the natural shine of the hair. The difference is noticed after the first use of this filtered shower.
Not only does the product remove 95 percent of chlorine and impurities but also it is lovable. The shower head appears stylish due to its chrome finish. The main material used is created from plastic making it be light.
With this simple design, assembling and disassembling this unit is not hard. The universal fit feature makes it easy to install without tools in the bathroom. Just unscrew the existing shower head then screw this in to enjoy the high-pressure.
It is not surprising because the manufacturer adopts the right filtration method. That means the shower head is risk-free and provides healthy water without contaminants. Especially this is true as it lasts up to 6 months.
- Maintains high water pressure.
- Lifetime guarantee.
- Limited spray settings.
- Prone to clogging
- Leaks sometimes
Advantages of a Shower Head Filter
Dependent upon where you live and the quality of water that is being provided, there are some advantages which the shower head filter can provide including:
- Healthier Hair – As your hair is going to be the thing closest to the shower on a consistent basis, it is never a good thing to expose it to chemicals such as chlorine. Eliminating the chlorine and having purer water will increase the strength of the follicles in the scalp and give you healthier hair.
- A more enjoyable bathing experience – When you bathe in a shower that has chemicals there is a distinctive smell. And where you may feel that you have to deal with the nasty smelling water, a filter can minimize or eliminate this odor. By doing such, your showering experience is increased.
- Reduced irritation on the skin and eyes – If you have ever opened your eyes in a large chlorinated pool, you can understand the pain in which it can cause. The same chemicals in a pool can be in your water (primarily the high chlorine content). This can cause irritation to the eyes and the skin. Because KDF and Vitamin C take out this chemical, there is less irritation caused from bathing.
How to Choose Shower Filter
By now, you should understand that the water that comes from your pipes can be purified dramatically with the use of a shower head. Finding the best shower head filter may be a bit of a task if you do not know what to look for, When picking the shower filter, there are a few key elements to consider.
- Ensure that the filter is either KDF or Vitamin C. If you find that the filter is using another methodology to take out the chlorine and toxins, you may want to be weary. KDF and Vitamin C are tested and accurate methods for the shower filter, other methods may not be.
- Longevity should be considered on any shower filter you purchase. Where the filter may offer great options for replacement and affordability, if the life of the filter is too short then you are not getting a quality product.
- Materials used in the manufacturing of the product. Like with a shower head, the shower filter will be made of a durable material. Try to avoid cheap plastics or thin metals as these are susceptible to breaking, bending, and cracking.
- Check to see how much replacement parts will be. If there are no replacement parts, then you may want to consider another brand (unless of course, the replacement apparatus is cheap enough to replace the whole unit).
- Bring pictures of your bathroom with you so that you can test the aesthetics of the filter with the rest of the bathroom. You want to merge the functionality with the look and feel of the bathroom. It would do ill to have a great interior design in the room just to have it thrown off with a big and bulky filter that does not meet your needs.